I was messing around on Facebook today and stumbled across a link to Pretty Fluffy’s 13 project.
The 13 Project is a Pretty Fluffy initiative that involves 13 acts of kindness towards animals before 2013. Inspired by my involvement in last year’s 12 before 2012 project, I wanted to make the tail end of 2013 count. We have exactly 13 weeks left of this year, so what better way of embarking on a list of 13 achievable and worthy goals before the year is out.
To join, all you have to do is come up with a list of up to 13 ways you can help animals before the end of 2013. You don’t need to be a millionaire, you don’t need to have a website, or be a member of a rescue organisation…All you need is the desire to make a difference.
I completely agree with Serena’s sentiments. I see so many dogs needing help all the time, but sometimes it’s overwhelming and makes me feel useless. The 13 Project helps me scale it back and think about what I CAN do to help.
I took some time today to research other participants lists and create my own, so here it is. Some of my 13 are lifted them from other lists and some are my own. This is my pledge to the homeless animals in my community and the people who work so hard to help them.
Over the next 13 weeks, I will:
Go through all my old towels and blankets and donate them to my local animal shelter.DONE
- 2. Write to my Member of Parliament voicing my concerns about Breed Specific Legislation and explaining how promoting responsible dog ownership is more valuable to our society than a ban on certain breeds of dogs.
- 3. Write a blog post profiling a local rescue and work to promote their efforts.
- 4. Make and donate bandanas to a local rescue for use during adoption events.
Share more adoptable pets and rescue events on Facebook and Twitter.DONE – but will continue doing so:)
Sign this petition to help save Greyhounds from cruel export trade.DONE
- 7. Photograph and feature an adoptable dog on this blog.
Gather some items listed on the Toronto Humane Society’s wish list and donate them.DONE
Purchase and donate dog food to a food bank to help folks in need feed their pets.DONE (cat food too!)
- 10. Write up the story of Dozer, our previous rescued American Bulldog (and the Lucky Dog Clothing Co.’s inspiration) in the hopes of inspiring people to adopt a senior or special needs dog.
Sponsor a dog through Southern Ontario Dog Rescue for one year.DONE
Spread and promote The 13 project to inspire others.DONE – but will continue doing so:)
Remember, the smallest effort you make, makes the biggest difference to the lives of these animals.
Will you join me in this challenge? Post your list here or on our Facebook page!